Thursday, June 04, 2009

Bookplates: what are they and where can I find them?



I am often asked about the handy and well-designed bookplates that I mail to people who have bought my books. I've used 2 designs over the years, both from a company called Antioch. However, you can't order directly from them; you have to find one of their customers, like a bookstore, or you can order online at WallDaddy.

For those who aren't sure exactly what a bookplate is, it's a sticker (with peel-off backing) that you put on the inside of your book, usually on the inside cover. Some people use bookplates to catalogue their private library.

I use them when people buy my books but don't buy directly from me at a book signing. So many readers love to get an author's signature. This is one way to do it. It costs very little to mail a bookplate. I even toss in a bookmark or two.

What I love about the two designs below is that they leave me enough room to add the recipient's name, a special message and my signature.

Here are my favorite designs; you can buy these bookplates online by clicking on each picture:










Or you can browse through the various bookplates at WallDaddy.






~Cheryl Kaye Tardif, author of The River, Divine Intervention and Whale Song
http://www.cherylktardif.com/

2 comments:

Betty Dravis said...

Thanks for telling me about these yesterday. I have a fan in Colorado who always mails me two copies for signatures of all my books. Since she pays postage both ways to two separate locations, it gets pretty costly for her.

I'm sure when I tell her about these plates, she will be grateful.

I ordered some and I chose Starry Nights (Van Gogh) for the ones that just need my signature, and the Bible for where I want to write a longer note.

Can't wait to receive them, especially with my new book "Dream Reachers" hot off the press.

Hugs - Betty

Karen Harrington said...

Great resource! Thanks, Cheryl.