Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Here's what a CreateSpace book looks like

by Karen Harrington, author Janeology


At long last, I finally have my free proof copy of a novel from CreateSpace. Back in November, the people behind National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) worked with CreateSpace.com to provide NaNo winners with a free proof copy of their completed novels. I set a deadline of May 29 to complete my edits of the NaNo draft so that I could meet the June 1 expiration date of my CreateSpace code. It took some work to get this puppy uploaded onto this site, making me wish I hadn't waited until a few days before the expiration date. Fortunately, the good folks at CreateSpace worked with me to get this accomplished.

First, you have to format the book in a PDF to the exact dimensions CreateSpace requires. Then, you can select a one of their two dozen or so covers to wrap your proof. Next, you have the option of uploading your own author photo and book jacket summary. After all of this is uploaded and approved by CreateSpace, Voila! You get a proof copy in the mail a short time later. They even assign an ISBN for your book. If, after you've proofed your copy and like it, you can make it available for sale on Amazon.com.

Had I not received the free proof from NaNoWriMo, I could have paid about $11 to get my own proof. I think this is a valuable service that I would have paid for on my own. Why? When I was reading and editing the galley proof for my Janeology, I realized there's something about editing a book in this format that gives you a distance and more objectivity about the editing. It truly puts you in the reader's seat. Plus, I think this proof copy will be a valuable tool to give to some of my unsuspecting friends and relatives to solicit much needed feedback on the story.

About this proof:

61,000 words
377 pages, double-spaced with no separation or page breaks for chapters (Maybe that was due to my poor formattting job.)
Dimensions are 5 x 8
Cover is good quality laminate coating


1 comment:

Cheryl Tardif said...

Your book looks awesome!! Congrats! And welcome to the world of self-publishing. Now that you've done both you'll have valuable experience that will only benefit future works.

Now, please tell us, what is your book about??!!?? :-) I want a synopsis. :-)

Cheryl