Sunday, March 29, 2009

Is Anyone Twittering Out There?

Last week, I mentioned that one of the hottest trends in online promotion these days is Twitter, a fairly new social network that involves micro-blogging whenever the mood hits you. Twitter has taken off and everywhere you turn someone is talking about it online or in the media. Thanks to a gentle nudge from our own Cheryl Kaye Tardif, I joined yesterday.

A week ago, I kind of dreaded the idea of joining because I was reluctant to take the time to learn to navigate my way through yet another network when I already belong to five of them. But Cheryl told me that she’s holding a contest and asked if I’d be interested in donating a book or two. Well, she doesn’t have to ask twice! I don’t mind giving books away to all kinds of causes and helping other writers promote anyway they can.

I have to tell you, Twitter is simple to join and it’s easy to find people and contribute. In fact, you’re only allowed 140 characters per blog entry, which is about a sentence.

Cheryl’s on a mission to gather 10,000 followers (known as friends in other networks), and when she does, she’s going to give away a number of book prizes. I’ll be donating a copy of Taxed to Death and Fatal Encryption.

So, if you’re curious about what people are thinking and doing, give Twitter a try at at www.twitter.com. Happily, not much personal information is asked of you, and very little of it appears on your profile page. Once you’ve joined, you can find Cheryl at www.twitter.com/CherylKTardif. And you can find me at www.twitter.com/DebraPurdyKong. Hope to see you there!

To read excerpts of Fatal Encryption and Taxed to Death, visit www.debrapurdykong.com

1 comment:

Cheryl Tardif said...

Great post, Debra! :-) And thanks for the plug.

My Twitter Contest is getting really exciting, with over 50 prizes to be awarded as soon as I reach 10,000 followers.

Having a contest is just one way to use Twitter to promote something or someone--in this case it's promoting a bunch of someones.

Check out the list of growing prizes at:
www.cherylktardif.com/contests

Twitter tip: follow people in the same industry as you, and many will follow you back.

Follow me!

Cheryl Kaye Tardif