Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Blogged to death

The front page of the Sunday New York Times had an article about blogging. The gist of the news was the stress that blogging puts on a person’s health. So much stress that two and a half bloggers died within the last several weeks. The half being the one blogger that almost died but did not.

These individuals were tech bloggers. Blogging about technology can actually bring in a salary, but this profession is highly competitive. The competition being so intense that some in that blogging world get little sleep, no leisure time, no vacation and basically no life.

The term, blogged to death has suddenly taken on new meaning. My off-handed comment on pulling an all-nighter blogging has lost its humor. As much as I want to reach out to my cyberspace friends, and as much as I’d like to see how far reaching my blogging can go, I do not want to be found slumped over my keyboard in the throes of polishing off another blog.

I send my sympathy to the families of Russell Shaw and Marc Orchant. To the friends and family of Om Malik I suggest you encourage him to lay off the blogging for his remaining time on the planet. As for me, I still want people to know about my book, I want to sell thousands of copies and blogging seems to be one way of accomplishing this goal.

In an effort not to bore you to death or blog you to demise, I am proposing that at the first sign of clogging of the blogging arteries, please quit This condition is right up there with smoking and drinking. Nothing you blog tonight could be so important that it couldn’t wait until tomorrow.

Now ask me if I am going to follow my own advice?

Blog what you read, what you think and what you hear.

Linda Merlino, author, Belly of the Whale
http://www.lindamerlino.com
http://www.kunati.com/linda-merlino

No comments: