Sunday, May 30, 2010

eBook Piracy: Should pirates walk the plank or be set free?


The issue of ebook (and print book) piracy is being debated on JA Konrath's blog. While he is all for piracy, I am not.

Here's a bit from my most recent post:

This is my recent reply on JA Konrath's blog where piracy pros and cons are still being discussed. I am a bit concerned about new authors taking everything Joe says to heart without looking into the issue--illegal copyright theft and sharing. As much as I respect Joe for his marketing abilities, I am not sold on his argument that since we can't fight them we should embrace piracy and do nothing, turn a blind eye. I'm just not wired that way, and I'm not alone.

Read my entire post at:

http://cherylktardif.blogspot.com/2010/05/hoy-matey-should-ebook-pirates-walk.html

Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
author of The River (and more)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that despite the challenges in fighting piracy, we still need to try.

What goes largely undiscussed is the price impact all of this has--the prices for digital goods could be significantly lower if everyone was actually buying them.

The Business Software Alliance found in a study that for every $1 sold there is .75 pirated.

So the issue becomes how to protect download pages and how to protect software. Many people don't realize their stuff can be easily found and downloaded free.

-Brett Ingram

Get the Special Report: How Digital Thieves Are Stealing 43% of Your eBooks and Software Profits From Right Under Your Nose…and What You Can Do To Stop Them Dead In Their Tracks! here: http://protectdownload.org