Sunday, August 09, 2009

I Finally Arrived, Sort Of

Well, it finally happened. I’d been holding out as long as I could. After all, there were concerns about privacy and wasted time and navigating my way through one of the largest social networking sites ever created, but I finally did it. With the help of my savvy daughter, I joined Facebook a few days ago, and I think it’s going pretty well so far.

My decision to join was inspired by a panel of well known writers, including Dana Stabenow and Laurie King who said that Facebook was a great way to promote oneself and one’s work. They’re also big fans of Twitter, by the way, which I’m also on.

I don’t know if unknown writers like me successfully promote on Facebook, but I do know that I now have fifty-five friends and belong to three groups, which I have visited only once. I’m still trying to learn all the things one can do on the site and figure out the most efficient way to use it. This could take some time because, frankly, Facebook’s a little overwhelming, although friendly.

If any of you are already on Facebook, new friends are always welcome. Our own Cheryl and Pat have found me, and Pat’s been a great help. If anyone has suggestions about how best to use Facebook, I’d love to hear from you.

See you on the Home page.

2 comments:

Pat Bertram said...

Did you connect facebook with Twitter? There are two different applications -- you can have your tweets posted to Facebook, or have your facebook status update posted to Twitter.

childfont said...

That's very great . . .