Friday, July 27, 2007

CONTEST RULES DO NOT FAVOUR AUTHORS

I would like to voice an opinion that has bothered me for some years. The Galbraith Literary Award has prompted me to ask:

DO THESE CONTESTS BENEFIT ANYONE BUT THE ORGANIZATIONS?

I ask myself what quality literary story can be created in less than 3,500 words? Was the word count more for the judges to be able to skirt the applicants than to obtain a quality submission?

If I am asked to pay a fee, then why am I restricted from flogging my story elsewhere at the same time? This contest has a 6 month waiting period before determining if the submission won an undisclosed amount of money. That is a 6 month freeze of sending the story elsewhere. How many stories does an author write in 6 months?

I don't object to the contest -- only the rules. They are not author friendly. They are self-serving. With all due respects to the late Mr. Galbraith, have your contest but don't prevent an author from making a living. Once a fee is charged, the author should be a free agent. Does that make it difficult for the contest? That's not my concern. If the entry is free -- then I agree on a freeze.

A few years ago, I sent a story out to more than one venue. I received 3 requests to buy the story. Each told me I had to freeze the story for them. I made a choice and went with a New York magazine. Several months later the publisher notified me that they had decided to change the theme for the month my story was to appear and they were canceling.

Authors should be allowed to sell their story without restrictions when entering a contest that charges a fee. That's my opinion.

No comments: