Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Are You a True Best Friend?

Excerpted from my monthly newsletter, Inspiration from a Blind, to which you can subscribe via www.ShirleyCheng.com

Be your own true best friend and you will become a true best friend of the world. Now what do I mean by that? Let us dissect it together, shall we?


First, what do you look for in a friend? What qualities attract you? Do you want someone who is honest, sincere, fun, and loving? Do you want someone you can trust and with whom to share laughter and tears? Then those are the qualities you need to have in order to attract yourself. Others will be attracted to you, too.


Second, you need to accept yourself. As we all know, no one is really flawless; we have some faults one way or another. Acknowledge those faults, but do not be held back from them. As long as you honestly know that you are a good person with good intentions, then everything is just fine. This will attract others to you, too. (Please note the word I used is "honestly.")


Third, What do you think of those who pick whom to be nice with? You know, the Sarah who is only nice to the popular girls and mean to the girl next door. Is that person really whom you want to be friends with? And what do you think of Mary who is nice to everyone she knows and meets? Does she sound like as though she'll make a good friend? So, which person's trait would you like to have yourself?


Now put those three together, and you get a true best friend. The keyword is true. You have to be true to yourself, then others will find you true, too. Like Mary, be nice to yourself and others around you. You won't get many true friends if you prefer to be Sarah.


In other words, dance with your heart! When you dance with your heart, you are dancing using your heart and you are dancing together with your heart, and in turn, you become a dancing heart. A heart that dances teaches true lessons, so dance with your heart to guide others to follow in your dance steps.


This, of course, by no means will make everyone like you, but this will make you feel better about yourself and the world. I know all this because--you guessed it--I am a dancing heart!


I am dancing as I share this great news with you:
I have accepted the position as a board member of the World Positive Thinkers club after its president, Ken Bossone, kindly offered me this opportunity. Needless to say, I am absolutely honored and delighted. I will do my utmost best in representing the club's mission, which is to spread positivity to the world. I, along with more than 500 other members, including Oprah Winfrey and Nancy Reagan, represent the vital element--positivity--through everyday positive actions and attitude, setting a positive example for the society. You may visit the club at www.WorldPositiveThinkersClub.com


On March 16, I will hold my third book signing at my local Borders Books, Music & Cafe (1820 South Rd, Wappingers Falls, NY) at 7:30 p.m. Invitations will be sent to those in the area, but even if you aren't from Dutchess County of Upstate New York, please by all means e-mail me if you'd like to attend. I will sign four or five of my books and take pre-orders for my forthcoming release, Waking Spirit: Prose & Poems the Spirit Sings (I am accepting orders from http://www.shirleycheng.com as well).

1 comment:

Cheryl Tardif said...

Congratulations, Shirley! What a wonderful opportunity for you. And to be in the presence of leaders like Oprah and Nancy Reagan...WOW!

You are a true inspiration, and I am proud to be your friend.

Cheryl