Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Head is Spinning, and Anyone Up for a Review?


One of my favourite words of wisdom comes from Gregg Levoy, who said, "Rejection is a writer's best friend. If you are not failing regularly, you are living so far below your potential that you're failing anyway."

I've sure found this to be true for submitting my work (the harder I tried the more success I had), but now that I'm promoting and marketing Fatal Encryption, it also applies to getting the word out about my book. When my first novel, Taxed to Death, came out twelve years ago, I knew very little about the internet and did little online promotion. Now, I've found list groups, websites, blogs, reviewers, and several places to feature my work on line.

A couple of days ago I joined MySpace and, oh my gosh, my head is spinning. There are so many people, so many groups just for writers, never mind everyone else, that I'm wondering how I'll ever find time to visit them and post comments, or promote my book. I've also signed up with GoodReads which I'm slowly getting to know, but there are more sites to join. I figure if I do a little every day, a year from now I'll know a lot more people, and maybe they'll know me. Not all of this will result in sales, but if I don't try, I've failed myself and that's simply unacceptable.

If anyone out there is interested in becoming my friend on MySpace, I think all you have to do is go to www.myspace.com/debrapurdykong and let me know, but as I say, I'm still figuring things out. And if anyone's looking for more friends, I'd be more than happy to join you.

Also, if anyone would like to review a copy of Fatal Encryption and post reviews either in print or on the net, I'd be happy to send a complimentary copy to the first three people who request the book. If you'd like to read excerpts first, please visit my site at http://www.debrapurdykong.com/






No comments: