Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blog Out-of-the-Blue

Stuff happens. Thomas Carlyle once called it “the lightening bolt that comes out of a clear blue sky.” Everyday we wake up and have no knowledge of how our day will transpire, or how it will end. Most days it is the same old routine, get up, go to work, take care of the kids, read the paper, take the train, traffic, on and on…a routine, a boring predictable routine called daily life.

But some times we get side swiped, something or someone comes “out-of-the-blue” to turn our ordinary life on its head. People we love can suddenly be taken from us. Our homes and all our possessions can be lost. Cyclones. Hurricanes. Our car gets totaled in an accident and we never make it to work. Instead we are in an ambulance praying that we won’t die, not like this, not today.

Hudson Catalina is the protagonist in my new novel, Belly of the Whale, she decides that breast cancer will be her executioner. The beast will claim victory and Hudson gives up hope of surviving. But the story that continues unfolds in twenty-four hours and is about out-of-the-blue situations, it is about lightening bolts and thinking you know what is going to happen, but it doesn’t.

Blogging out-of-the-blue days, resonates in me. I had a recent bolt come out of the sky that rocked my world and it is still sending shock waves. There is a lesson here, a life-lesson. Do not take anything or anyone for granted. Every day is a gift.

Blog what you think, hear, see and feel.

Linda Merlino
http://www.lindamerlino.com
http://kunati.com/linda-merlino
Belly of the Whale is available on amazon.com

1 comment:

Cheryl Tardif said...

I so agree with you, Linda. I have had my fair share of lightning bolts--some good, some bad--that have woken me, shaken me, terrified me, left me hopeless or left me feeling hopeful and grateful.

Two things I have learned:
1)There is always light at the end of even the darkest tunnel.
2)Life ALWAYS goes on, with or without us.

I recently had a lightning bolt that brought clarity, inspiration and the desire to begin a project I have put off for almost 20 years. I am excited about this project. The time is right, and I see it as a gift that one day I'll be able to present to those who need it.

To lightning bolts!

~Cheryl Kaye Tardif, author