Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's Spring and the Ideas are Blooming!

While waiting for my editor to complete her edits, I’ve decided that the best way to pass the time is to do one of the things I love most in this world: start writing a new novel. This is a rare thing for me because, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I spend ninety percent of my writing life revising and editing and editing some more.

I’ve been working on the first two chapters and now that I’m thinking about the next two, ideas are popping into my brain at a rapid rate. It happens while driving, at work, buying coffee at Tim Horton’s, doing dishes, having a bath, or grocery shopping, among other things. It’s an amazing feeling. Today, I collected a quite a few notes for chapters three and four, partly because it’s been a peaceful, warm, sunny day, but also because new books and new ideas go hand in hand. Already, I’ve realized that chapters in my outline are in the wrong order, but that’s fine. Outlines are made to be changed. At night, I need to read someone else’s book to shut thoughts of my own book away or I’ll never sleep. I admit, though, that plenty of ideas come while I’m half asleep. Still, I need a sharp, alert brain to organize these ideas and connect them to other ideas already percolating. Lord, I love this process!

NOTE: Now that it’s tax season, you might need a fun, quirky break from all those pesky tax forms. To help you with that, my mystery Taxed to Death is now on sale in ebook form for only $3.98 until April 30th. Also, the sequel Fatal Encryption will also be on sale at the same low price. Check them out at
Fatal Encryption at http://tinyurl.com/y9k4hjl
Taxed to Death at http://tinyurl.com/yzbhu95

No comments: