Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Guest Post: Literary agent Misherald L. Brown

GumboWriters: How did you get your start as an agent? Why become an editor instead of say, a fighter pilot or computer engineer?

I got my start by being a little busy body quite honestly. I knew I wanted to do something within the publishing world but I wasn’t sure what so I wanted to be a editor, publisher, writer, and all the other stuff but thanks to some mentors they helped me realized that I had to decided and I decided to try it all out one step at a time. I went on to become a writer, publisher, and a public relations guru not in any particular order to later become a literary agent. I became an agent instead of the neonatologist or pediatrician that I wanted to be because I was giving back to our children.

What are some of the exciting books you've represented that you're most proud of?

I would have to say that my most exciting book to date is my first sell Lil Sister because it only took me 6 weeks to make the sell. I was very proud and excited because I knew I was going places.

When you receive a submission what about it really grabs you and excites you to the point that you'd like to acquire it?

The characters my big thing is the characters and how they act.

What makes you decide to read a submission overnight compared to it rotting on the bottom of your slush pile?

If a book gets me to guessing then more than likely I will stay up to finish it.

What's the best way for a writer to contact you? Query letter?

Email me a query letter ( submissions@mlbrownassociatesllc.com )

Are you open to receiving submissions from self-published authors?

I will consider self-pub authors.

What are you personally doing in order to adapt to the changes in the marketplace?(Changes meaning: lower print runs, shrinking book review outlets, oversaturated market and chains stores being more selective about what books they put on their shelves)

I am paying attention to what editors are buying and being concise of the market itself.

How much of a books acquisition decision do you think has to do with the talent and how many books similar to it have sold great numbers?

I think a book acquisition has to do with the books similar unless the author already has a name. Many editors look at the trends.

Is it becoming necessary for fiction writers to have their own platform (built in fanbase) too? If so, if not, why?

Yes, a fiction writer needs to build their platform quickly.

Article provided by www.GumboWriters.com

No comments: