Sunday, June 26, 2011

Diving Further into the Promotion Thing

Although I’ve been on Facebook for some time, I always found it a bit large and cumbersome compared with the quick snippets I can type on Twitter. Twitter’s fairly easy to learn and use, as there’s not a large number of options and icons to choose. Facebook, however, is another beast. My first look at it was totally confusing what with all the apps, groups, networked blogs, and what the heck was a Fan Page anyway? This week, I found out.

After a couple of writing friends assured me that a Fan Page is an important promo tool, I decided to give it a try. For reasons I don’t quite understand, I apparently need 25 people to click on the “Like” button on my page in order for the page to be validated, or some such thing. I have no idea what will happen if it isn’t. The fan page focuses on anything and everything to do with my Casey Holland mysteries, but doesn’t need to updated everyday. Aside from promotion events and reviews, I’m going to write a little about the process of working on each book. The more I write about Casey Holland, the more I realize that this series is about one character’s journey of self discovery and growth, and while the main plot of each book is a separate entity, the subplot which is Casey's personal life is a continuous, tumultuous thread without any clear or short term resolution. It’s a large part of what makes the series interesting to write.

If anyone out there would like to visit my fan page, I’d greatly appreciate it. You can find it at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Casey-Holland-Transit-Security-Mysteries/139005706175139 or just type Casey Holland Transit Security Mysteries in the search box. And since today’s blog is about promotion, you tweeters out there can find me at @debrapurdykong.

I’m going to be in the Okanagan next week, but I’ll also be doing two book signings. One is in Penticton at HOOKED ON BOOKS, 225 Main Street on Saturday, July 2 from 10 AM to 2 PM. There’s also a fantastic farmers market going on that day right outside the bookshop.

The second signing will be in Kelowna at MOSAIC BOOKS, 411 Bernard Avenue from 11 AM to 3 PM. If you’re in the area, please stop by to say hi, or talk mysteries, or tell me about your writing! Hope to see you there!

THE OPPOSITE OF DARK, http://bit.ly/i983XE, Chapters/Indigo http://bit.ly/gtFSFw
FATAL ENCRYPTION, http://tinyurl.com/ddzsxl
TAXED TO DEATH, http://tinyurl.com/czsy5n

1 comment:

Marian Allen said...

I appreciate hearing your input about Facebook ads, Debra. I think I'll focus on interaction and maybe ads on reader/reviewer sites.

I Liked your Fan page. Nothing happens if you don't get 25 Likes. If you DO, you can go from a way long name like facebook.com/pages/My-Page-Name/0003334107833202 to a slightly shorter one like facebook.com/My-Page-Name.

I'll be looking forward to your fan page posts! Be sure to share your blog posts on there, too, so nobody misses them by accident. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes