Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Introduction from Miracle Survivor Shirley Cheng

Greetings, my fellow booklovers,
I'm honored and delighted to be a part of the blogging team. I'm highly thankful for Cheryl for her kind invitation!



Before I post anything, I thought I'd introduce myself so you all can get to know me better. I welcome you to visit my site at http://www.shirleycheng.com to learn more about me, my books, and what I do, and to listen to some of my radio interviews.


I'm Shirley Cheng. I'm a blind and physically disabled 23-year-old motivational speaker, poet, and author and contributing author of eight books, two of which I co-authored with highly acclaimed experts like Dr. Wayne Dyer, Jack Canfield, and John Gray, including the latest installment in the bestselling Wake Up...Live the Life You Love series. I empower, inspire, and motivate others to go for their gold medal in life as I have gone for mine despite insurmountable challenges.


I've had severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since only eleven months old. Owing to years of hospitalization between America and China, I received no schooling until age eleven. I started schooling in a special education class in elementary school. Back then, I only knew the alphabets and few simple English; I knew that two plus two equals four and that three times five is fifteen. Other than that, my book knowledge was non-existent. But because of my thirst for knowledge, I devoured everything that was taught and mostly self-taught myself how to read. So after about 180 days of attendance, I achieved grade level in all areas and entered a regular sixth grade class in middle school. I was a high honor student and received numerous art, writing, and academic awards, including the student of the year in sixth grade. Unfortunately, I lost my eyesight at the age of seventeen. I became an author at age twenty, and completed three books within one year. The next high mountain I need to climb is to get the eye surgery to hopefully restore my eyesight. Then I hope to earn multiple science doctorates from Harvard University.


My first book is Daring Quests of Mystics, a collection of what I call philosophical fairy tales to relax the mind, body, and spirit, and it depicts my dreams of a utopian world where good is the best magic and where pure goodness is not too good to be true. My second book is The Revelation of a Star's Endless Shine, an empowering autobiography, replete with fifty black and white photographs of my mother and me at the back, to bring humor, hope, and healing. My third book is Dance with Your Heart: Tales and Poems That the Heart Tells, a collection of inspirational and fantasy short stories (fairy tales, fables, and myths) and poems from the heart, for the heart. I co-authored 101 Great Ways to Improve Your Life, Volume 2, with 100 self-improvement experts, including Jack Canfield, John Gray, Richard Carlson, Alan Cohen, and Bob Proctor. If you want to achieve spiritual affinity and ultimately the success and fulfillment that come with it, then read my chapter, Dance with Your Heart: How to Befriend Your Heart and the World Around You, which gently teaches you how to hold hands with yourself and then with others around you. I also contributed to Wake Up...Live the Life You Love: Finding Your Life's Passion, Second Edition, along with Dr. Wayne Dyer, Anthony Robbins, and Brian Tracy.


Since I'm blind, I wrote my books using a screen reader, which is a software on the computer, that reads what's on the screen and tells me which keys I type. I type using only my two index fingers, but I manage it quite well typing at the speed of about 60 words per minute. Not only have I written my books but have also successfully completed every self-publishing task, including formatting my manuscripts, entirely on my own. I also design and maintain my own website. Yes, a blind can do all that with just plenty of passion and faith!


Well, I am very much looking forward to contributing to the blog! E-mail me from my site if you have any questions or comments...let me know what you'd like me to post.


Take care.

Shirley Cheng

No comments: