Sunday, March 06, 2016

Giving Your Books a Second Chance

Given the number of traditionally published authors who have opted for self-publishing over recent years, I want to mention a couple of great articles I can across this week. The first is by Skyla Dawn Cameron who addresses the importance of obtaining a Rights of Reversion letter for those who want to be released from their publisher’s contract. As you can imagine, there are do’s and don’ts to consider and her blog contains good information, especially if you plan to reissue your books. She also offers a link to tips about how to go about reissuing your backlist, once you’ve got that RoR letter.

Speaking of reissuing, an interesting blog by Diana Urban discusses how to relaunch a series. She interviews author Colleen Gleason who obtained the rights to her Vampire Hunter series from her publisher. Gleason reveals how she breathed new life into her books through self-publishing, and describes the promotion strategies she used to make that happen. It’s really quite helpful and certainly doable.

Back when I planned to self-publish my two Alex Bellamy mysteries, the prospect of self-publishing seemed daunting because there were so many tasks involved in production process. Happily, access to information and assistance is far more readily available than it was twenty years ago. So are distribution and promotion opportunities, and thank heaven for the technology that keeps me from having to learn a whole new complex, software program to produce a book.


I see more self-publishing in my future, although I don’t a date set in mind. Honestly, I think it will be a hugely exciting venture, but to do it the way I want, I’ll need to write a few more books and build a large catalog of review and blogging possibilities. I’ve started, but I have a long way to go.


No comments: