Sunday, May 23, 2010

Out of the Zone, For Now

On Thursday, I finished editing the first eleven chapters of my mystery and sent them to the editor for review. It’s the first lull in the editing process in a month, and while I spoke about being in the zone last week, my mind seems to be in rest mode for the moment, at least when it comes to this book.

But I like to keep busy, so rather than sitting around waiting for the next chapters to edit, I’ve begun working on my fourth Casey novel. Actually, I started it a few weeks ago, then had to put it aside because the edits had begun. It’s been interesting because first drafts definitely require the creative part of the brain and I’ve been so immersed in analytical, critical thinking lately that the switch has been quite a change.

Perhaps one of the most challenging things for writers is to go from creative to analytical thinking. After all, fiction writers do what they do because they’re creative people, but this doesn’t mean all of us are terribly analytical, especially when it comes to our own work. Still, critical analysis is a terrific skill to develop and if you can’t do it, then find a good critique group or experienced readers in your genre with great analytical skills. It will definitely help you in the long run.

As always, my amateur sleuth, Vancouver-based, Alex Bellamy mysteries can be purchased at
FATAL ENCRYPTION, http://tinyurl.com/ddzsxl
TAXED TO DEATH, http://tinyurl.com/czsy5n

2 comments:

The Daring Novelist said...

Whether it's switching from creative to analytical, or just the lovely polished prose of a finished draft to the awkward klutziness of the raw first words - transitioning to a new project can be an adjustment.

But it's also refreshing. Enjoy the change while you can....

Debra Purdy Kong said...

Thank you, I will!